Tuesday, October 20, 2009

So after meeting with Cathy, I have decided to make a compilation of different pieces of fiction told from different points of view but all relating to Freedom Summer. This portion is from the point of view of a black SNCC volunteer during his training in Oxford. I wanted to show that not everything was as friendly and productive as it may seem in records or retrospective looks at the noble feat of these volunteers. So here goes...

I remember they told us to be prepared for something very different from what we were used to. Yeah, very different. Awfully vague for what it actually was. I had been a volunteer for SNCC (Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee) for about six months when I caught wind of the Freedom Summer project taking place in a little Midwestern town in Ohio: Oxford. Up until then, I had honestly had very little interaction in general with white folks. I joined SNCC in my hometown of Detroit. Actually as far as hometowns go, that is a rather large place to claim, so I guess I missed out on some of the homey aspects of a safe and quaint hometown like Oxford, OH. Regardless, Before I left for the training, I remember our committee leader explaining to us that everyone was there to volunteer for a common cause. It would be different but also a learning experience. They tried to sugar coat everything, I know in retrospect. What I experienced during that time in Ohio could not have been foreseen fully for what it was.

            I don’t mean to make the experience sound like a nightmare. I assure you, it wasn’t. It was noble especially thinking on it now. But that doesn’t mean that it was all rainbows and unicorns. The SNCC volunteers seemed to naturally group together and the white volunteers seemed constantly segregated. It was as if they didn’t understand us nor we them. I remember one conversation I had during a training session on how to handle a violent situation if we were to be jumped or attacked. I was being attacked and this white volunteer was the attacker. To preface, we were told to act as if the situation were real so as not to create shock if the issue was really to play out while in Mississippi. I had no idea he would go this far.

            “Down you coon! No good [kicks to the ribs] son-of-a-bitch!”

            I curled into a ball as I was told by our instructors.

            “What the hell you think you are doin’ in these parts, nigger?”

            He went for my face, so I buried it in my hands. I could hear gasps from my friends and other volunteers forming around us in a circle. I continued to cover my face and felt his blows on my ribs, penetrating deeper and deeper. Finally the demonstration was over. I rose to see his face.

            He was red and panting, panting from his rage or from the drill. The seemingly kind man who had shaken my hand before was replaced with the hatred they taught us not to fear but to expect. It wasn’t all violent and terrifying, the training. But it was also clear that this was the bringing together of different groups. It was a lesson that could only be lived perhaps. 

4 comments:

  1. That's different. In a compilation I imagine it can serve as an even greater shake-up to the average reader's perspective. I know the main incident, the deaths, perhaps even FS as a whole is couched in a white light... so I think not only is it fresher to explore the overlooked perspectives... but to do it outside of the South in contrast to such a violent manner of "demonstrating", let alone to the separation going on in the background, would raise important questions that supersede regionalism.

    I think little things leading up to that demonstration would help to illustrate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since you're writing from the point of view of someone from a different time period, it might be useful to make certain cultural references and use 60s-era slang. There were a few times when I thought that the voice sounded a little bit too much like 'college student from 2009' and not enough like 'young volunteer from the 60s.' The trick is striking a balance between what feels silly and what would be accurate for the time. (I happen to know that 60s-era Oxford had its own kind of slang too.) Also, my mom was going to college in Oxford directly after the stuff with freedom summer happened and she remembers what was going on. I'm sure she'd be happy to give an interview, if you wanted to base a character on a white, middle class, college age observer of these things!

    I think that you're tackling a very difficult subject. I thought that you described the "training" moment very powerfully. Great work, keep on writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand that nothing was as cut and dry as it is recorded. I agree that there must have been some rough patches. Even the white people that really wanted to help would probably stay away from the black people just because they might have that that they didn't know how to act or thought whatever they might say or do would be taken the wrong way. And then on the other side of the situation, any kind act might be taken for something else or even pity. The situation was very complex. You have a lot to work with. I highly doubt that you could exhaust the possible situations. Try a lot of things. See which works the best. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of looking at things differently. I've always had a problem with fitting in because I look at things differently than most. It's a hard row to hoe as they say, but if you're willing to take the risk and show the soft, raw underbelly, it ~might~ pay off. It might just get you a free bushel of funny looks from peers, but there is a chance, and probably a fairly good one with this crowd, that it will gain you some respect and hopefully a good grade! :)

    A lot has been written, I'm sure, about the good side of things, so why not point out what is not so happy and cheerful. Not everything has to be a Disney feel-good family event of the year, and if everyone sees the truth about the darker side of anything, they ,might just appreciate it truth of it more or at least understand that we DON'T live a bowl full of cherries as seen through rose-colored glasses (and other cliche metaphors as well) and take things a little more seriously...

    ReplyDelete