Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Fireflies

Weird title. Kinda random. But it felt like a decent theme. Whenever I endeavor on a new project it always feels a bit like chasing fireflies. I get this sudden illumination of an image or a character or a scene that I want to capture, and go chasing headlong after it. But if I'm not quick enough to snatch it as it's lighted, I'm left to stumble after its ghostly afterimage. And often, when bright inspiration gives way to the burden of searching, I am distracted by a new blinking light in the distance: Another idea, another promise. And fool as I am I leap headlong after it.

Fireflies also (sort of) explain the way my audience will approach my piece. As mentioned by many, this world is far too large to expound upon in detail. I've abandoned a linear format to compensate, creating my own field of fireflies. The reader catches a glimpse of their surroundings lit up in each story/poem/artwork, and plays a mental game of connect the dots: And hopefully the constellation will be an adequate rendering of what it needs to be.

Just a glimpse, that's all they ever give you. A tiny flash, an indication of their position, maybe a hint at their direction. And then they melt back into the seamless night and leave you guessing. That's all I have for today. Some character sketches, people who will play critical roles in one or more of the stories.



This first page was one of dozens that I doodled and tossed around ideas on. I like this one because it includes a lot: An early sketch of the cyberflora, with a figure-scale for size comparison. I was experimenting with forms that looked both artificial and 'alien' to earth, while at the same time looking as organic as possible.
The second sketch of the hand over the grass was an attempt to illustrate the prostheses affinity for the new wildlife; the 'grass' sways and bends in the direction of transhumans. 'Fireflies' and other airborne creations of the artificial wildlife are attracted to them as well. I hope to make a comparison to transhumans (Man merged with Machine) and the creatures of folklore, nymphs and dynaids (Nature merged with Man). I think it puts the idea of flowerchildren and 'Mother Nature' in an interesting new light.
Finally, the bottom sketch is the first doodle of Hannah (name still open to change), one of the many transhumans ostracized from her home and concentrated into camps with others like her. She falls into the category of involuntary transhuman - she would give up her implants to join her family if she could, but they are necessary to her survival. She falls toward one end of a continuum; For some, to 'purge oneself' of the implants, as the government requires, would mean death. For others, it would be a great sacrifice, but survivable. (For instance, there is a man with cybernetic eyes, and a woman with two cybernetic legs.) At the other end, there are those in camp who are augmented beyond their means, with implants that improve physical strength or memory capacity. They refuse on principle.


Here is a quick sketch of a family of exiled transhumans. The man with cybereyes, a little girl with a prosthetic leg, and an older woman (her caregiver) who remains banished from the city to be with the child. In the background is an early attempt to wrap my head around cavern-life: Huge underground tunnels and rooms lit by a web of lighted rootwires high above, dangling down like christmas lights or japanese lanterns.

Below are further character sketches.






The finished project will include improved versions of profiles like these, set to proper backgrounds, interspersed among the text.As for the prose-y bits... you'll just have to wait a bit longer. I've got lots of scenes splayed out in my head, and lots of 'stuff' scribbled in places, but no whole pieces thus far. Next time!(Also: I read I, "Rowboat". Thanks for bringing it up! It was a fantastic story, I'd recommend it to everyone else. And while that world doesn't quite mesh with my own, it lit up a whole slew of new fireflies for me to chase :)

2 comments:

  1. Alex- Wow.

    I really enjoy your visual work. Esp. the one towards the end with a sort-of keyhole view. You are a very ambitious man with this project. I like that. If we are not pushing ourselves to 'the limit' why even write at all?

    The world you are attempting to create appears to be a fantastical world with characters that take on fictional 'beings' such as Robot/man, nature/man, cyberflora, etc. I am interested to see what type of world results from this blend of beings. My only concern with creating such a fantastical world would be dealing with contradictions that may naturally arise. In this instance I am thinking about 'the ring' and the ghost child that lived in the well and would somehow come out of televisions. If she lived in a well she would be damp and once she entered a tv she would naturally be shocked by the television set. It couldn't work. But I digress...


    I am also interested in seeing how you incorporate your text with the image. Creating a balance or relationship between text and image is something that I feel really makes or brakes a piece.

    Great work! The images are outstanding. I really enjoy the 'sketch' theme your drawings tend to take. The stroke of the pencil to paper gives the image an intimate and approachable form. It is like the images are inviting the reader into the text. "Come, see what I am all about" the images say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked I, Rowboat, I think it opens the door to thinking about life and intelligence and sentience in a lot of cool and interesting ways. Some fantastic art work, the huddled forms and the light/dark on the old man were my personal favorites. I agree with Tim, I think you can do a lot with image and text and the combination therein. I think it'd be interesting, with all your overflow of life/intelligence/machinery to actually have overlap of imagery and text, allowing one to flow into the other...though I supposed this is what you were aiming at. Something like having branches from the tree not just overlap the text but bleed into it, stretching the words in places...this is more what i was thinking. I think it highlights themes you already have going on, and the visual can just hammer home things you are shooting for in the text (harsher lines and contrasts on texts about machinery, softer, lighter things for the nature, or any kind of overlap, etc.) Really cool stuff, I always like seeing more

    ReplyDelete