Tuesday, October 27, 2009

First half of the Horror Script

Hey!!

So I am feeling pretty sick and felt like sparing you all the chance of catching what ever I had but I still wanted to post some of what I've been working on with this final script. It's coming along nicely but one of the segments I wanted to share in this post is the first half of the horror segment. It's a good taste of what I've been doing and I think you can get a really good shot of how I am tying everything together (i.e. all 5 stories and time periods). This one leads in nicely from one of my stories to another and it is my first attempt at horror. I hope you guys like it and if you haven't gone to see the Oxford ghost I recommend it...the story I made up is fake but it really is pretty creepy. So anyway I had to email it over the listserv because although I could take screen shots they wouldn't all post on the blog for some reason. So if you're bored check it out and let me know what you think about where I'm going with the story. More to come. Thanks a lot!

Joey

3 comments:

  1. Hey Joey, I read the script and liked it a lot. The language is good, maybe a little too realistic at a few tiny points, where they are right now escapes me, but if you really want to know, I'll point them out later, just let me know.
    I found while in my play writing class that dialog that is too real is often boring. I'm not saying your is, I'm just saying it's a real watch word in writing scripts. I think you did a good job of staying out of the uber real and uninteresting conversations, so kudos. Again, I recommend reading some of "Waiting for Godot" by Beckett for awesome apparently-about-nothing-with-a-real-secret-message written into it kind of script.
    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It'll be interesting to see how everything ties together for sure. For me the fact that it has some basis on a real (and local) legend is appealing. With the perspective shifting in the first scene is it going to speed up as it goes or something?

    I think I'd second the above, thinking about how the horror genre tends to shape up. Tends to be a little on the silly side barring psychological attempts. Ah, modern hollywood. Now writing about nothing is a different story... wonder how that translates on paper as compared to stage and reality.

    Yeah, so keep on, everything seems to be going well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Joey!

    I could have sworn I posted on this before, but ah well, guess I'll reiterate now. Read the Script and loved it. Loved, as Brett mentioned, that it's based on a real Miami ghost story,(which, by the way, no one should attempt; the poor owner of that land has had to chase so many kids off his property that it's not funny) and I loved the slow build toward the climatic end. (people were giving me weird looks in the computer lab when I was on the edge of my seat at the end...)

    It really does leave you wanting more, and I can't wait to read the rest of it. I'm wondering how you're going to explore power relationships through this though? Perhaps power in the unknown and fear..?

    Keep up the good work, anyway!

    ReplyDelete