Tuesday, September 22, 2009

While I sat trying in vain to read through "Uncle Vanya" for theater class, something in the back of my mind kept calling me to this final project. Normally, I have a pretty good idea right away what I'm going to to, but this has been eluding me somewhat. Then it occurred to me that, in keeping with my music/lyrics theme for this project, that the music that affects me most, more often than not, is music that asks me a question rather than positing someone's opinion.

Then I started thinking. Could this be it?

So I starting considering the options. Would it be more effective to make someone think by telling them what I think or asking them what they think? How can I relate this to power? Who has the power? The thinkers or those who only listen? If I wanted to get a message across to you, why would I just tell you what I think? For some things I suppose that's okay. Research papers, etc. are designed for such endeavors, but music, especially the music and lyrics I write, are meant to evoke thoughtfulness and inspiration rather than just a "here's what I think" kind of deal.

These thoughts led to the more relevant issue of power, political, religious, etc. I have always had a problem with authority and especially those who abuse their power. Power corrupts, etc. My greatest defense against those who impose their will on me is usually a well aimed question, or fist, but usually a question. So the people who really change things, those with real power, are those who take a system that is stagnating its gears in its own good-old-boy rancid juice, cigar ash, and leather polish and ask it questions it cannot answer under the current administration. this gives rise to doubt, doubt gives rise to suspicion, and suspicion gives rise to investigation, that usually ends in the discovery of a new way to do things better, more efficient, etc.

So it's my contention that the true power lies in the question rather than the answer and I have just the lyrics for that.

Question is, can I record it all in time?

3 comments:

  1. Jeff,

    I think that the issues you are raising here are well worth exploring. Congratulations on settling on a more definite idea for your project, it's exciting to see the progress from week to week.

    The pro life campaign that's sprung up on this campus recently reminded me of a video on YouTube I saw a while back. A group of students went to a pro life rally and asked the protesters one question: "Should doctors who perform abortions receive life in prison/the death penalty?" The assumption being, that if fetuses (feti??) are truly a human life, then the consequence for taking that life equates with homicide. All of the protesters were kind of struck by this question-- and they were unable to answer it.

    So, I'm thinking that one way you could approach this idea is to gather a variety of political issues (pro life, healthcare, hunger issues, whatever it may be) and start writing a list of questions that challenge one or both sides of that particular issue.

    Then, I'm seeing this whole thing in my mind's eye as eventually becoming a music video. Asking a people these questions, recording the results and setting that bad boy to music.

    Another thought-- if you asked the question with music playing in the background, would it change their response? Would different music in the background create different responses?

    Really interesting stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you'd better. I completely agree that the question has more power than the answer. The Riddler isn't the Answerer after all. Seriously though, you've hit a point not many people think about. Looking at most conversations people just tell each other what they think and try to prove it. In confrontations it works the same way. Through my student job I have learned to ask questions to someone that is confronting me. It is more of a defensive play than an offensive one but it still does the same thing. It takes the power out of what they are saying and soon they see it, or hopefully see it, from another point of view. While reading your post this totally clicked. I am interested in what you will create. I want to urge caution about the timing though. When you ask questions you have to wait until people answer them or think about them. So make sure however you're going to pull this off that you give the audience time for them to sink in, especially if they are tough questions that challenge the way they think and live.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jeff! So I love your idea of lyrics. I am really looking forward to these projects that seem to be exploring music, especially because you know the role it plays in my life. What I am most curious about, perhaps, is the obvious. What questions will you be asking? Also, in order to add some extra meat to this project, although recording is often meat enough in terms of time commitment, do you plan on getting answers to your questions? I mean, you could maybe add an element to your final work in which you somehow gather reactions to your questions or music.

    What I find most fulfilling when I sing is to know my work and art moved someone, regardless of good or bad. I love to know when I was able to touch someone through my music. I think this could really open some doors as well to new questions you may not have thought to ask in the first place as well.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete