Tuesday, September 22, 2009

To continue and clarify what I started with last week I wanted to try and write a few more short scenes in which power relationships and expressions of power are the main focus. My ultimate goal is to combine what I have observed with what I observe or collect from visiting the Drop Inn center into a longer piece of creative fiction. As it is now I am only trying to get the hang of writing situations where power relationships are the main focus. Any ideas or suggestions on how to improve my writing, or any possible suggestions as to where to take my initial idea would be much appreciated. I wrote two scenes. The one that is not posted here has a young man who buys his first suit. Wearing a suit is all about expressing power, I thought the power relationships between the buyer of the suit and seller of the suit was interesting. Here is the other scene I came up with recently, partially from first-hand experience:

“You can’t see him,” Mary said to her two grandkids. “He’s sleeping.” Her back hurt from leaning over the bed too much, to collect excess spit from his lips, or to pat an arm reassuringly. Hospitals, despite the amount of time she’d spent in one, had never sat right with her. The doctors too professional. Little hand sanitizer dispensers; the surfaces so clean life couldn’t possibly exist. Her grandson Sean saw her jaw tremble after this thought. He wasn’t sure if it was because she’d yet to have a drink that day.
“That’s alright, we’ll see him later. How are you doing?” said her granddaughter Jackie.
Youth and their irrelevant questions, Mary thought. She felt scared, trapped by the past fifty years and an event that would happen too soon. She picked at a scab on her hand. “I’m fine,” she said. “Just hanging in there. I’m so glad you two made it.” She provided each grandchild a hug.
“How’s he doing?” said Sean, Jackie’s brother.
“He’s in and out. He’s been sleeping a lot lately. He really only talks when I’m around.”
The two grandkids murmured reassurances, asked who else had been to visit, and provided stock answers to questions about their own lives. A nurse let them know they could see their grandfather if they wished. They didn’t match their grandmother’s crawling pace and entered the room before her. When she entered she could only see their backs blacking the view of her dying husband.
“Pops, it’s good to see you,” Sean said. Jackie bent down to give him a hug. Over her shoulder, Mary could see the look in her husband’s eye, and wished that he would look less scared. They stayed in the room only for a few minutes. Their mother was calling and both needed to talk to her. She could hear pieces of her grandchildren’s phone conversation as they paced in the hallway.
“Bill,” Mary said to her husband. “Why don’t you try to eat something?”
“He looks bad, Mom. He’s lost a lot of weight, I don’t think…” She could hear Sean saying.
Bill shook his head and closed his eyes, shrinking farther into the corner of his bed.
“Do you want anything? Do you want me to get the nurse?” He only responded with labored breath.
“…when we found that raccoon trapped in our dumpster? That’s what his eyes look…” Mary heard as Sean paced back in front of the door.
“Do you want me to shut the door?” She wanted him to say yes. He didn’t respond.
“…Not sure how long we’re staying. I’d like to get back at a decent hour. I have to…” Jackie had the phone now.
“I could just get the nurse,” Mary said to Bill. “She could do something for you.” She took a thick cough for an affirmative answer and buzzed the nurse. She could still hear her granddaughter in the hallway as she watched the nurse make adjustments to his medication, and then all feeling drain from his eyes.

2 comments:

  1. Will-

    I do believe power relationships are often manifested by the expression of power, and in the case of this sample writing, age is the medium through which power is expressed. That seems to be the power structure you are playing with: the relationship between this older grandmother and her grandkids. Though it would help to know more about the grandfather's condition (to better gauge the emotive states of the kids and the grandma). But it's fairly clear that the grandfather is not well, whether it be injury or old age that has bit him.

    The interplay between Grandmother and the kids seems a little vague right now. Her thoughts towards them don't seem very positive, which is strange because they are children. She is not very tolerant of their reassurances, which shows in the words "Youth and their irreverent questions."

    So I'm wondering where the power relationship might be, and if it is maybe measured, in this case, by the the level of intimacy shared between Grandma and Grandpa VS. The kids and Grandpa. Grandma is the agent, she's clearly on the active end, and she is effectively responsible for her husband's interactions. So she sort of has power over her husband and his visitors. I'm making her sounds like a strict dictator, but that's not the case, as I personally understand how this sort of matriarchal thing operates.

    Keep writing! I think the soul of your piece will come to you, just keep writing and trying out different scenes/interactions.

    -Zach

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a really good start to your fiction writing. I also agree with Zach - although it may not be necessary as to what exactly the grandfather is dying of, I found myself trying to figure out what his sickness was instead of focusing on the text. If maybe you say he had emphysema or something, or even more powerful, alzheimers, it might be more powerful. I found in my own experience that the power relationship changes SO much with alzheimers. My grandma used to be this very strong willed independent woman and now she is just the shell of a human and her husband has to do absolutely everything for her. It might be a good idea for another freewrite. In your case, I see that the grandma had an interesting power struggle, because there wasn't much she could do for her husband except for calling the nurse, which makes me sad. I also think she would be happier to see her grandchildren, but it's an interesting character trait that she isn't. I think to make this piece hit deeper, maybe have an interaction just between the grandma and grandpa, I don't know, I just feel like the circumstances should be heightened or something. Anyway, I like where you started, just keep writing and keep trying to tap at the core of their power and emotions.

    ReplyDelete