Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Student's Search for Employment in the Economy

My initial thought, when exploring different ideas, formats, and prompts for this project was to do something with film or media. Personally it will give me the most space to create and discover power and controversy through my topic. I think that through visual effect I will be able to communicate my idea to others most effectively.

My main focus will be on college student's search for employment in the economy. I think that this issue has changed massively in the past few years and is something extremely relevant to Miami students as well as employers. It has changed the way students apply for jobs, prepare for the work force, and look forward in their lives. There is so much to touch on when creating this project and I believe the possibilities are endless. In the end I hope to have a completed documentary that spells out the decisions that students have been forced to make and adjust in the recent economy change.

First I will need to outline what is happening in the United States economy and how it has diminished but overall effected employment rates. I will review the different major cities and its impact on each. This will be the control for my film. I want it to be the base line for the rest of my film. The majority of my project will stem from interviews, writings, poetry, and testimonials from Miami Students and faculty. I will attempt to attain a real life, practical reaction to all different majors and job fields. I want to get different optimistic as well as negative view points. In the end, I feel that my project will display a deep look into the reality of college student's search for employment in the economy today.

Finally, I will be writing a documentary script, providing music, and adding some of my own creative writing to the film and media project along with the work and thoughts of others!

2 comments:

  1. Something that my thoughts keep drifting to is how much college students actually know about the true workings of the economy. And the job market for that matter, since one tends to get vastly different reaction depending on major. But anyways, I always get the feeling that, since we're at a place like Miami and getting a degree, people think they'll have a job, for lack of a better word, waiting. Another class of mine last year brought up how interchangeable we really are and how useless degrees are since there is such a supply and so many jobs going elsewhere. Essentially it's spending more time and money to get better pieces of paper in order to appear more attractive for the same jobs. I think the perception in this country tends to be one where college is a guarantee - to the point where we don't even consider other options. Lots of societal pressure and automatic expectations.

    I guess what I'm getting at is curiosity about how our expectations have changed based on something as made up as the economy and what jobs we are told matter. This is a relatively closed off place, so it ought to be an intriguing comparison between the cities and our own perception. Another possibility is adding in the perception of others who don't have the luxury of a place like this. But really money, and by extension the economy, have that much power over us. Anyway you cut it I think it's a good idea. It took a decade or two for the perfect storm of bad government and excessive/careless living to end up here, so it's a unique opportunity to capture our changing perceptions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the college student's search for employment really does offer a lot of options for writing and research, and I agree with Brett that it would be a really neat place to turn and get people outside the Miami bubble, especially those who never planned on attending college in the first place...their must be a dramatically different mindset than the ones who go to college and expect to be employed.

    I also like that you're shooting for a documentary. I think your topic is something you can really capture on film, from shots of different lifestyles to interviews to work environments. I think you can tell a lot about people, even before they have a job, on how much they expect to get one based on how they act or dress, and I think something like this would be really cool to see on film. I'm excited to hear more

    ReplyDelete