Wednesday, September 30, 2009

More Quiet

Here's where my reflections on silence have led me so far. Not sure why they're tending sexual, but maybe the first stage of removing language tends one towards another kind of basic connection? Although... they are definitely more, um... auto-sexual... Anyway, there are 3 more poems that are in their infancy-- these two are tweens. :) The middle one (#2) is a bit of a Wallace Stevens poem that keeps emerging out of silence, but I haven't quite worked out the less-than-obvious parts of its relevance.


Quiet #1

link to: external
salvation, hegemony,
one ethic of control
the spilt, dripping
reminder of descending in-

to hell with
an empty bottle,
the lightening fast doubt as He
rubs one out


Quiet #2

Think about:
“the maker’s rage to order words of the sea” (Wallace Stevens)


Quiet #3

I am a comma,
one. quiet.
pause that’s bound by noise

nvr txt w/ punc
tu
a
tion
no stopping no
place to
read my
rest my
rapid running
(self)

I swerved against the traffic, one
small slower death was
buzzing
in my jeans

1 comment:

  1. Misty,

    I like what you have started here. The two poems you've written are interesting and complicated and not obvious. I especially like, and this may or may not have been your intent, that while attempting to contemplate on silence you still do give hints at where you were or what was happening around you while you were writing them. Without any knowledge as to how they connect to power...

    Poem 1: I like the shift in this poem from abtract (external, salvation, hegemony, ethic) to concrete images (hell, bottle, lightening, "rubbing one out". I think this dynamic can be played out even further. It is interesting how you notice silence breeds sexual thought, it's a seemingly obvious realization but one I've not heard articulated.

    Poem 2: Made me think of the picture "Wanderer above the Sea of Fog" by Caspar David Friedrich. Maybe it's worth a look.

    Poem 3: Very easy to see the situation in which you wrote it. I like most the first and last stanza. The lines "small slower death was/buzzing/in my jeans" are fairly concrete with a complicated meaning.

    Continue the good work.

    ReplyDelete