Monday, September 14, 2009

Project Idea

When Dr. Wagner told us about going to the Drop Inn and incorporating it into our project, I thought about the power relationships between the rich, the poor, and the in-between. In Oxford, I have always noticed a tension between the students of Oxford and its residents. While many of the students refer to the residents as “townies” (giving the title a negative connotation) I can only assume that the residents think of the students as bratty and obnoxious.

I stayed in Oxford this summer for 6 weeks to take classes. I noticed that the residents were much more prevalent in town and around the campus probably due to the fact that the majority of its students had cleared out. It is interesting to see the relationship between the two groups.

After going to the Drop Inn, I want to create a project centered on the power relationships between different economic groups. Right now I am thinking (if I am allowed to at the Drop Inn) of taking candid pictures of the homeless people of Cincinnati, the residents of Oxford, and the students at Miami. I want to make some sort of a display with these pictures and have the first group be in black-and-white, the second group of pictures (Oxford residents) be in sepia, and the Miami Student pictures be in color. If I am able to, I also want to interview some residents of Oxford on how they view Miami Students but also interview the students on their thoughts regarding the residents. I want to interview the homeless to understand their outlook on life. I think ill add some quotes into each group of pictures. I am sure more ideas/changes will come up during the course of the semester but for right now I think this idea will be interesting and a learning experience for me as well.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Kaitlin!

    I think you are on to something here. This is such a topical choice for our lives here at Miami University. It will be relatable to nearly everyone who lives here, or in a place like it with similar economical or sociological elements. I can see those pictures now and I think they are going to be great. I have thought so many times about how the townies think about us.

    A great place you could go is the Family Resource Center down by Wal Mart. After you do your initial drop inn service this would be a good, close place where you can see local oxford residents, mostly less fortunate, and possibly interview, photograph or just learn from them. There are people of all ages here too so check it out if you think it would help!

    I think it would be pretty powerful if you took pictures of students in the same vicinity as the locals too... working hand in hand, being distant, or just simply being near each other uptown. I think the contrasts you could draw with these pictures could be cool!

    Good luck

    Joey

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be striking to see the different groups side by side. When this topic has come up in some other classes it seems that this place is its own little world with a little extension Uptown. We so easily lose sight of other groups without significant contact. Even when it comes to students and the uni employees.

    This is a big topic now with the debate over getting students involved in the political aspect of the community. Considering Uptown it would be interesting to capture that moment of interaction (or lack thereof) when, say, the townies and students inhabit the same space.

    When I went into Hamilton a couple of years ago only then did it really hit me, seeing the empty streets, the cramped environment, the tension thick in the air, hearing about all sorts of pleasant crimes that happened not long ago and seeing where they happened. It would be cool to perhaps see how the same location differs depending on time.

    One thing that comes to my mind is environment. Just stepping out of the brick uniformity here feels strange. All the little things like the way people dress or their body language - it adds a lot of subtle detail. I also wonder how the outlook on life differs between all the groups, especially within the same age group.

    There are also a few people, such as some of the business owners, that have been on both sides of the equation. They'd be good to learn from, I imagine. Or those that have been here for a really long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaitlin,

    Your idea sounds similar to mine as I am also very interested in obvserving people and the way they act look and talk according the power they have in a certain situation. Obviously a variable that affects power is financial well-being and freedom. While I would like to do more writing in my project I am very intrigued to see what you come up with in pursuing other avenues of creative expression.

    I am interested by the photo aspect of your proposed project. I think this could be a very effective way show contrasts between the two groups of people you want to observe. Your idea to show the less fortunate in black and white and the others in color seems to be a little cliche to me as often people in less fortunate circumstances are shown in black and white to evoke a common emotion. I think it would be more effective to switch what you had planned to do, and show the students in black and white and the others in color. As Miami students tend to be a colorful bunch I think showing them in black and white and the others in color could have surprising and original results. The colors of certain economic classes seems to be something that hasn't been explored widely and seems to definitely be a worthwhile pursuit. I think you also could show photographs of all groups in black and white and color and let people compare them themselves to see the differences. Good luck further devoloping your project.

    Will Conroy

    ReplyDelete