Sunday, November 8, 2009

Early Post for Group B, Other Thangs





Hey all,

Hope your weekend is/was fabulous...I decided to post a little early and try to help people out who may be confused about the blog. I believe that I am the first person in Group B to post for this week. Group B should be comprised of those in the latter half of the alphabet...I know I've been having trouble going back and seeing where the groups' posts begin/end...so maybe this will be a trend?

Anyhoo, I have some pictures for you all. I was playing around with the idea earlier of putting ALL (texts and pics) of this junk into a movie format and then make a chapbook-esque container for the DVD this would all eventually go on. Tell me what you think about that idea in your comments...

3 comments:

  1. So the DVD would sit in a chap book container? And the DVD would be pictures of people being electrocuted with text on them. Well I think that sounds pretty cool! You should have creepy music in the background that goes with the pictures. I wasn't sure if the text on these photos were your own or you found them like that. If they are your own then that's great. I don't know what that says in Spanish but it gives it an eerie effect regardless. I would suggest doing more of that, maybe in other languages too.
    "I always wanted to be on the front page of the papers," was very effective for me. It made me think about what I was looking at. It twist the initial image of what we usually think being on the front page would look like.

    The pictures of the men with straps or people holding them down is a perfect power struggle. Overall, nice idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaitlin - the spanish text refers to the signing of the cross, the phrase/prayer "In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit."

    Agreed: adding text to shift the perception of the images is a great effect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think these images already have that eerie cinematic quality to them, and they'd work great in a video. Especially if you are able to use the video medium to play around with the appearance and movement of the text on or across the images.
    While photos are still and allow the audience freedom in looking where they want when they want, video gives the artist a little more control; your audience has to look at what you present to them on the screen at a given moment. You can move text around, move images around, and use color/contrast/ and text to draw the eye to certain areas on the screen as the video progresses, telling a story with your work.


    I like the idea Kaitlin suggests too; have the images present with the DVD/chapbook, so the audience can watch the video, and then look over the stills at their leisure.

    ReplyDelete